07 October 2010

Autumn Soup to Warm the Soul

So I was going to blog about fall fashion today because I can't wait to wear non-maternity clothes again, but I have received so many fabulous foodie emails this morning that I decided to reconsider (including this one:  http://www.tastespotting.com/ ).  Since the weather has finally cooled down here in the dirty dirty (aka the south), a warm and filling stew seemed the perfect recipe for today.  It is a family favorite and so simple.  Enjoy!



Tortellini and White Bean Soup

1 tsp. olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning (or whatever you have on hand)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups coarsely chopped spinach
2/3 cup water
16-oz. can navy beans
14.5-oz. can vegetable broth (plus more for thinner soup)*
14.5-oz. can no-salt added whole tomatoes undrained and chopped
14-oz. can quartered artichoke hearts
9-oz. package cheese tortellini
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Saute onion, red pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.  Add spinach, water, navy beans, vegetable broth, tomatoes, artichokes and bring to a boil.  Reduce and simmer for 5 minutes.  Next, add cheese tortellini and cook according to time printed on package.  Serve with shaved Parmesan, hearty french bread and a tasty Shiraz.

*I find that a 14.5-oz can of broth is not enough because the tortellini drinks it up quickly.  I like to get a larger carton so I can add it to the soup when I reheat it for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment